Google drive is mostly used to store files for cloud access to data. The files can dependably be large or medium and can be downloaded with or without zipping.
Although a zip file can be opened thorough zip unlocker tool, you can download the large Google drive files without zipping it using Google drive tool.
I had a file shared on my Google drive that was larger than 10 GB and I had to take it on my desktop. 15 GB is the largest file size that anyone can have because that is the only free space available to upload.
If you search Google Drive help, you will find the most recommended answer Google Drive experts suggest to download the Google Drive app on your PC and download the large files without zipping those files.
☛ Surprisingly, you can transfer the Google Drive files to another account to free up some spaces in your Google Drive account.
Although if you want to download a file that is shared can be maximum of 5TB as that is the maximum file size that even a premium account can upload till now.
To download the large Google drive files on PC, you would require Google drive tool on your desktop. Then you have to select the target location folder to save the data and resolution or file quality type.
Whereas, in Mobile, from your Google drive app you can easily download any file if that does not exceed your phone storage capacity.
Let’s dive into the step by step details to download a large file from Google drive on different devices-
Download large files from Google Drive without zipping
While downloading multiple files from Google Drive on a desktop via a browser, it automatically zips them into one big file for convenience. But the compression takes a lot of time & you have some ways to download those Google drive files without making any zip. Here are the steps so you can do the process:
Step 1: First of all, Download Google Drive for desktop. Scroll down & click on the ‘Download’ button under ‘For Individuals’.
Step 2: Open & install the downloaded program. It automatically downloads the assets & installs its features. Just make sure your internet is working during installation.
Step 3: Follow the instructions on the screen. Sign in to the Google account that contains the files you want to download or has access to.
Step 4: After signing in, it will present you the option to sync your files from desktop to cloud. Uncheck the boxes if you are not interested in this feature.
Step 5: In the next panel, you will see two options, to sync the whole drive or the specific files. This is the important part, as the files you select will be saved to your desktop.
So, click on the second option, ‘Sync everything in My Drive’ & select the folder you want. (The first option is to download the whole drive folder, ignore this feature if you don’t need it.)
Step 6: Click on the ‘START’ button & it will create a folder named Google Drive on your PC, the files will be downloaded here. From there, you can cut, copy or edit them anyway you want.
Can I Download a large folder from Google Drive?
If you are using Google Drive on your PC browser, right-clicking a folder will show you the option to download it as it is.
But it will compress the selected folder into a .rar file, which is time-consuming for large folders, plus you’ll have to extract to contents, too.
You may refer to the steps in the first topic of this article where we used the Google Drive app for PCs to download folders without zipping them.
Download multiple large files from Google Drive on Android
If you’re on your Android Device and want to download Google Drive files on your Mobile without even zipping them in a short time then you can use the steps with the app that is provided below-
- Firstly, on your Android device Download the Advance Download Manager.
- Open the app & tap the three lines on the top left-hand corner. There you can access the in-built browser.
- Paste the link of the file you want to download in the URL bar at the top. If the file is not public, you have to log in to a Google account that has access.
- Tap the download button on top. If the file is larger than 250 MB, it will warn you that Google Drive cannot scan for viruses. Hit the ‘Download anyway’ button below this warning message.
- A window will appear where you can customize its name. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button at the end of the window & change ‘Threads per download’ to the max.
- Hit the ‘Start’ button to start the download. You can pause, resume the download from the main screen of the app.
This is the best way to download multiple Google Drive files at once.
Download large files from Google Drive to iPhone without Zipping
For download cloud files from Google Drive on your iOS device, you can use the app Total Files from the AppStore and download multiple large files on your iPhone or iPad.
- First of all, on your iOS device, Download the Total Files app from AppStore.
- Open the app & access the in-built browser by tapping the button in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Paste the link of the file you want to download.
- Tap the download button on top, tap on the ‘Download anyway’ button to start.
- You will see a notification at the bottom, select the ‘Download’ option. Then select the download destination & name of the file.
- Tap on ‘Download’ button on to start the download on iPhone.
With Total files app, you can connect multiple cloud accounts including iCloud and this is the best way to take download large files on your iPhone from Google Drive.
What to do if Google Drive large file download failed?
While downloading files from Google Drive, you might come across this error message: Failed – Network error. Below are some solutions that can help you.
1. Try another browser or Incognito Mode: To download the file, several users have found that this method aided them to complete the download.
2. Disable the extensions in your browser: Temporarily deactivating the extension can help Google Drive download file/s smoothly. You can disable these add-ons by going into the browser settings.
3. Google Drive isn’t downloading file after zipping: Turn off your anti-virus, Firewall settings. Go to your desktop’s anti-virus application, then go to its settings to pause it temporarily, disable real-time scanning.
To turn off the Windows Firewall, follow these steps:
- Press the Start button.
- Type ‘Windows Firewall’.
- Click on the “Windows Defender Firewall” icon to open the application.
- Click on ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’ to disable. (Use the same setting to turn it on.)
To disable the Firewall on the Apple desktop, follow these steps:
- From your desktop toolbar, click on the Apple menu (Apple icon) on the top left.
- Click on System Preferences.
- Choose ‘Security’ when you get the system preferences.
- Click on the Firewall tab.
- To unlock the panel, click on the lock in the lower-left corner & input admin details to proceed.
- Click the ‘Stop’ button.
- You will get the notification saying ‘Firewall Off.’
- Click on OK to save the changes.
The Bottom Lines:
Hope this detailed guide has helped you to get your large file on your device. If something still not clear you can just try the Google Drive help centre to get more additional suggestions.