Routers basically by default openly broadcast the SSID. This helps the hackers to break the security and enter your network easily.
If you are running a wireless network that has its SSID is not hidden then the security you have is zero. It is better to hide wireless network SSID on routers to prevent it from being seen by other persons.
Options are slightly different for each router. But, almost the same. You just need to get an overview to complete this easily. We have covered some routers in this article i.e. Linksys (Cisco), Tp-Link, Tenda.
What is SSID Actually?
Some people may have doubts about understanding the SSID mentioned here. It is the WiFi network name that you will need to connect with to browse the internet.
Service Set Identifier is broadcasted with a password in maximum time. That means you have to input the password to connect to the SSID. It is not the password itself.
Using Hidden Networks is Secure or not?
iOS 10 warns users if you connect to any hidden network as this may expose the personal visible information. Although, in Windows OS, you have to connect the hidden networks (non-broadcast). Also, using security for devices is always recommended.
There are some applications available which scan and unhide the network in a few seconds. Also, disabling the broadcast does not turn off the SSID, this just hides it from your neighbours but few scanners can reveal that SSID easily.
That is why it is recommended to use the WPA2 Security password for your SSID. WPA2 is the standard security with the alpha-numeric system.
How to Hide Wi-Fi Network Name in Router?
At first, open your web browser and open 192.168.0.1 to go to the login page.
[Default username & password: admin]
Note: For some routers the Gateway IP address is different. (Ex. 192.168.2.1; 192.168.1.1; 192.168.0.2). Find your router’s gateway IP from the router box where it is printed.
Now login and open the wireless option from the router settings page.
After that, you have to open the wireless settings on your router and hit disable to hide the SSID.
- Linksys: Go to Wireless>>Basic Wireless Settings>>Disable ‘SSID Broadcast’>>Save.
- Tp-Link: Go to Wireless>>Wireless Settings>>untick ‘Enable SSID Broadcast’>>Save.
- Tenda: Go to Wireless>>Wireless Basic Settings>>Disable ‘SSID Broadcast’>>OK.
After saving the settings, you will see your internet connection is disconnected. Just connect it manually once again with the SSID and password.
How to Connect to the Hidden Wireless Network on PC?
After hiding the router SSID, you will not be able to find out your internet network in the open list. Here is the process to follow to do this–
At first, go to the control panel and click on Network and the Internet.
Then click on Network and Sharing Center. After that click on Manage wireless networks.
After that, a new window will appear with the Add option. Just click on it.
Then select Manually create a network profile.
Then enter the network SSID name, Security type and password (if any). Then press the Next button.
After pressing the next button, you will see your device now is connected to that SSID. Now, the SSID will not be hidden for this device unless you delete the network.
Now you can use your wireless network tension-free.
- How to Fix iPhone Network Not Available? – BEST WAYS
- Wirelessly Connect PC Internet to Mobile
- How to Limit Bandwidth on a Netgear Router? [genie, N-Series]
- How To: PLDT ADSL Router Bandwidth Limit
- 192.168.2.1 – Login ALL Digisol [Static & PPPoE]
- How to Connect Mobile internet to Laptop? – Complete Guide
- Limit WiFi Speed for Others [All-in-One] Full Guide
- Configure Tenda Router [Username-IP-Password]
- Change SSID and Password on Digisol, Tenda, TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link
- How to Hide WiFi Network SSID on Tp-Link & Linksys?