If you have just opened a few files or documents recently then these will be visible to the My Drive suggestions either on Google Drive web or app. Now normally if you want to replace the suggestions then just open a few new files and the suggestions will be replaced with those new ones.
For you, also the suggested files on Google Drive will be those files that you have recently opened and you can even turn that feature off from the settings. If you’re on your PC then the option will be as ‘Suggested‘ and if that is on your mobile then you will see it as in the ‘Suggestions‘ tab on the app.
To remove the Suggested files section from Google drive, first, go to settings, and then scroll to find the option as ‘Show Suggested Files’, now just disable the option by unticking onto the box. However, if you want to turn off the suggestions on the Google Drive app, then from the Google Drive app, go to the ‘Quick Add’ option and turn off that option.
This article will explain all the steps to hide the suggestions from Google drive, whether you’re on the PC or mobile. You can disable that just from the settings tab, slightly different steps for PC vs mobile.
What do you mean by Suggested Files in Google Drive?
In the world’s most popular cloud-based storage – Google Drive, there exists the Quick Access or Suggested Files function. The main objective of which is to save the time largely spent on finding the most used files. The Quick Access feature effectively tracks the Google Drive behavior and activity of the user over a period of time.
These activities include:
- Which files are frequently opened/shared.
- Which files are used at specific times of the day.
- Which files were last opened.
Google Drive predicts and displays the suggested files at the top of the Google Drive homepage. The user can now access several files without having to type in any specific or additional details in the ‘Search’ bar.
However, a growing concern among Google Drive users is in relation to privacy and security features.
That allows other people to see the preview of your files without your knowledge or authorized permission.
Remove Suggestions from the Google Drive
For several users, the Suggested Files section has turned out to be a great inconvenience as it takes up a considerable amount of screen space or if needed to be hidden from view. The Quick Access can never be of any special use to you if you do not usually work with a multitude of files.
Fortunately, you can disable this function by following a few simple actions. Here are the steps you have to follow to easily get rid of the Quick Access or Suggested Files feature.
On the Google Drive App:
Note that if you’re on your mobile & viewing Google Drive from Chrome browser then you can turn off the suggestions but for the Google Drive app you cannot disable the ‘Suggestions’. All you can do just tap on the ‘Files’ tab on the bottom and the suggestions page will shift away from your Google drive app.
- Step 1: On your phone, open the Google Drive App. Now tap on the List icon in the top left corner, beside ‘My Drive’.
- Step 2: Next, scroll down the menu to find the ‘Settings’.
- Step 3: Then under Suggestions, look for the Quick Access option & Disable.
- Step 4: After exiting the menu, you should find that the Quick Access area is hidden.
On Web Browser:
You can easily disable the Suggested files option if you’re on your PC. Just from the settings, you have to disable the suggestions and that’s all.
- Step 1: First of all, go to the Google Drive homepage on the Chrome browser.
- Step 2: Log in to your Google account if you weren’t previously logged in to access your Google Drive.
- Step 3: Now, tap on the gear-shaped settings icon next to your Google profile photo at the top right corner of the window.
- Step 4: This will open a drop-down box containing three options. Here, click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Step 5: Now, untick the box next to ‘Show Suggested Files in My Drive’.
- Step 6: Now, tap on the blue Done button to confirm. After you refresh your page, suggested files would not appear anymore.
Deleting something From Suggestions on Google Drive
Note that there are different methods to remove files from suggestions from PC or mobile. If you want to remove a file from the suggestions on the app then definitely you can do this.
From the Google Drive App:
To remove a file from Suggestions on the Google Drive app,
- Firstly, tap on the three-dots icon on the file.
- Then from the list, tap on the ‘Not a helpful suggestion‘ option.
- The file will be removed and you will see another one replaced that position.
From the PC:
To delete a file from Google Drive web suggestions,
- Step 1: First of all, open the Google Drive App on your phone.
- Step 2: Then, navigate to the Suggested Files section on Google Drive.
- Step 3: Next, tap and select the file that you wish to delete or remove.
- Step 4: Now, you have to right-click on the file and click on the ‘Remove’ option in order to delete that file.
The Bottom Lines:
This article explained the methods to remove the quick suggestions from the Google Drive web as well as from the Google Drive app, just follow the above steps and this will be done.
- How to Edit Form after Submitting in Google Forms?
- How to Put Different Page Numbers Starting from a Specific Page?
- Looks like another App is Blocking Access to Google Play – Fixed
- How to View Google Form Responses after Submission?
- How To View, Save, Delete Chrome Saved Passwords on PC?
- How to Move Files from One Google Drive to Another
- How to Find Hidden Google Reviews?
- How to See Who has Viewed Google Docs? – Google Sheets
- Download Large files from Google Drive [Without Zipping]
- Recover Google Authenticator to New Phone – Without Old