Your Quick Answer:
- If you cannot see someone’s activity status, either they have turned off their “Activity Status”, or you have. You can turn it on in the “Settings”, and you will be able to see their last seen status.
- If a particular user has restricted you, you will not be able to see their last seen. However, it is much harder to know if someone has restricted you.
- You will not be able to see someone’s activity status if they have blocked you. You can quickly tell if someone has blocked you by searching their username on Instagram. If their account does not show, they have blocked you.
- Instagram shows an individual’s activity status only to the 25 most recent chats. If you are not in the top 25 recent chats, you will not be able to see their last seen.
Why is Instagram Not Showing ”Last Active”?
Here are the reasons below if the Instagram is not showing ‘last active’ time:
1. If the Activity status is turned off:
If you cannot see someone’s activity status, there is a good chance that they have turned it off completely. There is a feature on Instagram for people who like to maintain their privacy. This feature allows people to turn off their activity status. This means that none of their followers or friends can see when they were last available on social media.
If you have turned off your Activity Status, no one will be able to see your last seen updates. However, as a consequence, you also cannot see anyone else’s Activity Status.
If you feel you have turned off your Activity Status by mistake, follow the given steps:
Step 1: Go to Profile > Three lines icon
First, you must open the Instagram app from your phone’s home screen. Tap on the Profile icon at the bottom right corner of the screen. You will notice the three lines icon at the top right corner of the screen, tap on it.
Step 2: Go to Settings > Privacy > Activity Status
You have to tap on the “Settings” option once you are here and go to the “Privacy” option. Here you will notice an option that says “Activity Status”. Tap on it. In the next tab, you will see whether your activity status is turned on or not. If it is turned off, tap on it to turn it on to see others’ activity status.
2. Person restricted you on Instagram:
If someone has restricted you on Instagram, you will not be able to see their activity status. You also won’t be able to tell if they have read your messages or not. Restricting and blocking someone are not the same.
Unlike blocking, when you are restricted, there is no way to know if you are restricted. Look at the steps below to know how they may have restricted you so that you can ask them later to undo the restriction for you if you need to see their activity status.
If someone just asked you to do so, follow the steps:
Step 1: Go to the Direct Messages section
Open the Instagram app from the home screen of your phone. It will directly lead you to the Home Page of Instagram. At the top right corner, you will see an icon that looks like a paper plane.
You have to tap on it to reach the DM section of Instagram. Here you will see the accounts of all the people you have chatted with in the past.
Step 2: Tap on the user > “Restrict”
Then you have to tap on the username of the person you want to restrict. You will now be in the individual chat.
Tap on the username tab at the top of the screen. This will lead you to a new tab. Towards the bottom of the page, you will see the option “Restrict”. This is how they may have restricted you.
If you have been restricted, you will notice that your comments on their posts are only visible to you, not to other account users.
Video on Why is Instagram Not Showing the Last Active:
3. Person blocked you on Instagram:
If the user on Instagram has blocked you, you won’t be able to see their last seen status. However, this is a rare scenario. It may be likely that you may have disagreed in the past or for personal reasons. Unlike being restricted, it is easy to know if someone has blocked you on Instagram.
Step 1: Go to the Explore page
Open the Instagram app from the home screen of your phone. At the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, you will notice the Explore page. You have to tap on it.
Step 2: Search the username
Once you are on the Explore page, you will notice a search bar on the screen. Tap on it and type in the username of the person you think has blocked you. If you cannot see the person’s account, it means they have blocked you, but you can confirm further by using a different account to see if their account shows in the search list.
You can also ask a friend to search their username for you if you do not have another account. If the account is visible in their search list and not yours, it means they have blocked you.
4. Shows Last seen up to a few users:
This is the most common reason you cannot see someone’s activity status. Instagram limits ‘last seen’ activity status to only the first 25 users you have contracted with most recently. This means that anyone below the 25th user will be unable to see your activity status.
This also means that you will not be able to see anyone’s activity status after scrolling past the 25th Chat on your direct messages section. This is significantly less known and is not mentioned anywhere in the official pages specifically as a theory. This is just something you can deduce by yourself by following the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Go to the Direct Messages section
Open the Instagram app on your phone from your home screen. You will see the feed of the people you follow in front of you. At the top right corner, you will see an icon. Tap on this icon to reach the Direct Messages section of Instagram.
Step 2: Scroll past the 25th Chat
Once you are in the direct messages section, keep scrolling. You will notice that you can see the activity status of most of the people you have chatted with. But when you scroll past the 25th Chat, you will notice that you can no longer see anyone’s Activity Status. This is not a temporary glitch in the app and is the same for every Instagram account.
To summarize, you cannot see someone’s activity status if you have not contacted them through Instagram in the recent past.
The Bottom Lines:
If you cannot see someone’s activity status, the chances are that they have either turned off their activity status, restricted you, or you are not one of the first 25 Instagram users to have been in contact with them over the past few days. You may have been blocked as well; however, this is very unlikely.
- How to See Who Viewed Instagram Highlights After 48 Hours?
- What Happens When You like and Unlike an Instagram Post?
- Instagram Story Not Posting – What To Do
- How to Find Instagram users who don’t Follow you back?
- Why Does Instagram Show Error when Uploading Videos?
- What happens When you Delete a Conversation on Instagram?
- Can You Delete Instagram Conversation From Both Sides?
- How to Clean Up your Instagram Feed
- How to Find Inactive Instagram Followers?
- How to Find Someone on Instagram without Account?