You would notice some profiles is under your following section that you didn’t follow ever. If you don’t know, when you send someone a friend request by mistake and cancel it, the profile immediately comes into your following list. Also, the people you send friend requests to, come under the following list of your Facebook profile.
But, that really a problem when you have a lot more friend requests, you can remove all friend requests at once. This is the Facebook algorithm and how it’s designed, someone can follow you on Facebook even without becoming friends.
If you’re seeing the ‘Following‘ on someone’s profile that means you’ve followed the person or sent a friend request and once he accepts that you will be still a follower of that person. If you have no sent friend requests to the person, you can just unfollow the person by tapping on the ‘Unfollow‘ button.
I just looked into many facts that you might follow in order to find answers on following Vs sending a friend request.
There is a way to follow someone without being friends while the profile has no ‘Follow’ option button. I will explain multiple answers on this issue and sort it out with a step-by-step guide.
What does it mean when someone is Following you on Facebook?
You might also have heard of the possibility of following someone on Facebook even without being a friend.
If someone is following you on Facebook then it means, he will be able to see your public stuff on your profile even not in friends. But, if he is on your Friend list then all stuff rather the private ones will be visible to you and displayed on your timeline once he posts something new.
Notification will be received only when someone follows a person. So, a person has the liberty to unfollow any account at any time.
Difference between a Friend Request and Following:
This difference is about the limitation for you to interact with the profile. You will find the facts what it means in both cases.
⦾ Friend request: If someone sends you a friend request and if you accept their request, then you both agree indirectly that you know each other. As soon as you accept the request, both of you end up following each other. Friends on Facebook are someone whom you know personally or might have got to know through one of your friends.
⦾ Following on Facebook: Followers are people who took interest in following you even though they are outside your real-life circle. Some people who don’t have any mutual friends (any friends from your Facebook list of friends), end up following you.
Facebook has an option for everything. You can control your profile just by clicking on the buttons. You can always set the limits on who should follow you.
- On the settings page, click on public posts.
- In the very first row, you find the ‘Who can follow me’ option.
- There are two options in that. ‘Public and friends’.
If you have set the settings as ‘Public’, then anyone whose friend requests you have ignored or rejected can follow you unless and until you block them.
How can you follow someone on Facebook but not be friends?
If you want to know the method to follow someone without being a friend then this is possible if you’re on your Facebook for desktop.
To follow someone on Facebook but not becoming friends,
- First of all, go to Facebook on your chrome browser or other.
- Now open the profile you want to follow.
- Just send a friend request to the person. (Don’t worry it’s temporary, will revert this option now).
- You will see the three-dots icon, click on the ‘View Main Profile‘ option.
- Once the profile opens, just click on the three-dots icon again and just tap on ‘cancel request’.
- Once you cancel the friend request, it will show Add friend option, but you’re still following the person as you will be seeing the ‘Unfollow‘ option.
This is the method anyone can use to follow someone on Facebook but not become a friend. But everything the person shares with his friends will miss those, and only public stuff will be shown to you.
What does the following mean on the Facebook post?
Following someone on Facebook is literally like following them in real life because many people’s lives are intertwined with social media. If you follow someone on Facebook, you get a notification as and when the person you follow makes a new post. With that, you can always keep in touch with the persons’ location, their activities, their likes and dislikes, so on and so forth.
If you have set the privacy settings as ‘Friends’, then only your friends can see the post you make and comment on it. But, if you had kept it as ‘Public’ then anyone following you can get notified and see your post (that includes public photos and posts you make).
If you want to check whoever is following you, here are the steps.
- Go to your profile page.
- Click ‘Friends’ that is seen under your profile picture.
- Click on ‘More’ and then on ‘Followers’.
- A list of followers will appear on the screen.
You can check your followers and you can also block them if you don’t want them to follow you.
How to Add or Hide Add Friend option & Follow option on Facebook?
When you come across some Facebook pages, you find the ‘follow’ button instead of ‘Add friend’. If you click on ‘follow’, it shows that you are following that person. This is again the magic done by the privacy setting.
- Click on your accounts.
- Select settings and go to privacy.
- So many options will be there for you to edit.
- Scroll down and stop where you see the tag ‘how people find and contact you.
- In that tag, select ‘who can send you a friend request’.
- Many people might have set it as the ‘friends of friends’ option. If you haven’t set the same, do it asap.
- This means that only the friends of your friends who are on your Facebook list can send you a friend request.
To be simple, someone with zero mutual friends cannot send a friend request to you. The ‘Add friend’ button on your Facebook will disappear for those who are not your friends’ friends.
They can simply follow you on Facebook.
This is the reason why you only see the ‘Follow’ option on some profiles and you can only follow them and cannot befriend them. Many certified profiles on Facebook follow such settings along with the blue tick near their username indicating that they are certified, indirectly saying that they are celebrities and they are only to be followed.
You have sent a friend request but it says ‘Following’ on the Profile.
If someone has switched on the ‘Following’ option, as soon as you send a friend request, you start auto-following them. Their public posts will appear on your newsfeed until they accept your friend request.
On accepting your friend request, their private posts also will appear on your feed. Until then, you continue to follow them just because they have kept their follow option ‘on’.
The Bottom Lines:
This article explains the meaning of following someone on Facebook as being a friend or not being friends and in both cases, the meaning becomes a bit different depending on the privacy settings set for the profile for the stuff posted on the profile.
- Add WhatsApp Number to Facebook Profile, Page, Marketplace
- Download All Photos from Messenger Conversation [WORKS]
- Find & Track Messenger Secret Conversations – another phone
- What does it mean by Content not Available on Facebook?
- See First Message on Facebook/WhatsApp – without scrolling
- Delete old messages on Messenger from Both Sides
- What Determines the Top 6 Friends on Facebook Profile?
- Does the Blank Profile Picture on Messenger Mean Blocked?
- Clear Facebook / Messenger app cache on iPhone – 2021
- Trace a Fake Facebook Account and Find it Out