If you’re wondering on your Signal app to see if someone is being online or his last online status then you have to play trick everytime you want to know it.
Signal would not let you know the last seen of yours as well as of someone else for some privacy reasons and that is the core thing of Signal app for this reason.
If someone is online and you’re with him on chat then only you can see the ‘typing‘ status on the chat and that’s all you can see, enough to identify if the person is online. The same is only visible when someone is actually typing to send you a reply on the chat.
To check the last seen of someone on the Signal app, you can send a message to the person and wait to get the message viewed. At the time the person viewed your message, that you can say his last seen but for your chat. Meanwhile, the person may be active or chatting with someone else.
In this article, I will share several methods to find out the last seen of someone on Signal and if it is possible to check if someone is online on the Signal app.
Is there any last seen option on the Signal app?
The Signal app has no feature like ‘last seen’ because this app maintains your privacy. This feature of no last seen on the signal app is one of its privacy maintaining features so that the users can freely use the app to chat and share videos and photos without others letting them know about their last seen status.
The last seen feature shows the time when you were last seen online or using the app. So if there is no last seen, you can easily maintain your privacy.
However, it can be annoying sometimes not being able to see the ‘last seen’ but what you can surely do is turn on your ‘SMS Delivery Reports’ for messages from your ‘Settings’ under ‘Privacy’ that allows you to know if your sent a message was read or not.
If you toggle off the read receipts in your account you will not know if your message was read nor the other users will know if you read their message. This is how the app allows its users to maintain their privacy by not including the last seen feature thus giving its users a secure platform to socialize with their friends.
How to Check Last seen on Signal?
The Signal app has this amazing feature of not showing your live online status when using the app while chatting with your contacts. It means that you can be online while using the app and still appear to be offline for others as nobody can see your online status which is otherwise present in all other online messaging apps.
With this special feature of the Signal app, nobody can invade your privacy and you can stay online without letting others know your live online status.
However, the Signal app allows you to know whether your send message is read by the recipient and when it was read. You can easily check this by sending messages. Here are steps are given for you as a guide on how to look for the seen mark.
Send Messages & Look for the Dual Checkmark
To find out if someone checked the last seen on Signal,
- Step 1: Open your Signal app.
- Step 2: Tap on the pencil icon down in the right corner to get to the contact you want to start a chat with.
- Step 3: Tap on the name of the person you wanna chat with to open the chat window.
- Step 4: Once you open the chat window, type the message you have to send and tap on the send arrow. Your sent message will show a single tick once you send the message.
- Step 5: If your send message gets a double-filled Checkmark, it means that the person has read your message.
Also, you can see the time at which your sent message was read by the person you are chatting with. Through this feature, you can roughly estimate the last seen status of that person.
This is how you can see the status of your sent message whether reading on or not by the recipient. And this is only possible if both parties have their ‘Delivery receipts‘ on in their account settings under their privacy without letting them know about your live online status.
How to Know if Someone is Online on Signal?
Here are two methods following them you can easily know the online status of the person you are chatting with using the Signal app.
1: Checking the Typing Indicator
- Step 1: Make sure your ‘Typing Indicators‘ is on.
(You can do so by going to your account ‘Settings’ either by tapping on your profile in the top left corner or by tapping the three vertical dots on the top right corner of your screen and then tapping on ‘Privacy’. Toggle on the Typing indicator.)
- Step 2: Get back to the chat page and then tap on the pencil icon seen at the lower right corner. Your contacts using the Signal app will appear here.
- Step 3: Select the contact or name of the person with whom you want to have a conversation. Type the message and send by tapping on the send arrow.
- Step 4: When the opposing person replies to your message, you’ll see ‘typing’ icon.
- Step 5: This typing icon is seen on the chat on the Signal conversation.
If you will see a typing alert on the chatbox and that means the person is being online.
For this method, both you and the person you are chatting with must have their ‘typing indicators‘ on.
2: Message & Wait for the Reply
- Step 1: Open your Signal app.
- Step 2: The page containing all your recent chats with different contacts appears here.
- Step 3: Open the chat window of the person you want to chat with.
- Step 4: Type the message you want to send and then tap on the send arrow.
- Step 5: Once it’s sent you get a checkmark on the message.
- Step 6: Now wait for the person to reply to your sent message.
The moment you receive a reply to your message from that, it means that the person is online.
The Bottom Lines:
You don’t need to even send a message to check if a person is online on the Signal. If you receive any message from a person on your signal app, you can immediately conclude that the person is online. If you need, you can just cross verify by sending a message and when you see the typing indicator in the chat window with that person, it means that the person is online. Use these two methods to know if someone is online on the Signal App.